A Renovation of Hussey Gay Bell’s Flagship Headquarters
Hussey Gay Bell was founded in Savannah, Georgia in 1958 with operations on Bay Street, which was later relocated to The Enterprise Building on Abercorn Street in southside Savannah. By the early 1980s, the firm outgrew that space and the Bell family elected to design and construct a 38,200 SF flagship headquarters facility in southside Savannah where it still resides today on Commercial Drive.
In 2018, the Bell family elected to embark on a journey to fully renovate the existing 1980s space to transform it into a 21st century commercial office space complete with high-end FF&E, artistic murals and artwork, and state-of-the-art IT/AV/data systems.
The project resulted in the complete renovation of the second floor, accounting for approximately 19,100 SF and a small portion of the first floor (3,300 SF) where the firm’s surveying division is housed. The entire space was reconfigured from its existing program to promote interactivity and creativity among team members, which was accomplished through demo of old stud wall interior cubicles, removal of existing walls and casework and the installation of new reconfigurable furniture and the addition of multiple glass enclosed conference spaces and small gathering spaces in “light” corridors. Improvements included new flooring, lighting, paint, window treatments, furniture, fixtures, life safety upgrades including egress and fire alarm and significant data upgrades including all new Cat 6 cabling to enhance efficiencies.
Hussey Gay Bell also managed the procurement and installation of all professional artwork in the new space, which included all interior/exterior signage, 36” x 48” and 48” x 96” acrylic artwork displays and multiple wall murals.