New Coleman Middle School Dedicated
Duluth, GA – On Sunday, Governor Deal and other dignitaries celebrated the dedication of Gwinnett County Public Schools’ new Coleman Middle School. Gwinnett County Public Schools began educating students on the site of Coleman Middle School in Duluth, GA in 1954. The original eight classroom school building remains in use today, and is part of Hussey Gay Bell’s comprehensive renovation of the now 123,200 square foot facility to serve as GCPS’s flagship (S)cience (T)echnology (E)ngineering (A)rts and (M)athematics (STEAM) academy.
After serving a variety of various District functions over the years, Coleman Middle School is now fitted with the latest technology and infrastructure that will accommodate an ever-expanding and modernizing curriculum. The entire facility was renovated to address life safety code concerns, ADA access, mechanical and electrical energy code requirements, and a new welcoming front door with secure access control was constructed. Existing middle school science classrooms were renovated to high school level chemistry and biology science labs and new collaborative spaces were filled with technology to help prepare students for the Gwinnett (High) School of Math, Science and Technology, ranked nationally as the fourth best High School in the country, first in Georgia, and also designed by Hussey Gay Bell.
Roofing, painting, ceilings, lighting, casework and finishes were all part of the scope of work. The District also partnered with the City of Duluth for major area infrastructure improvements including new streetscapes, sidewalks and improved circulation. Coleman Middle School was completed on time and under budget and welcomed students again in August 2016, prepared to educate Gwinnett County’s children for the next 70 years.